Urban Development Institute of Australia (UDIA)
The Urban Development Institute of Australia (UDIA) is Australia’s peak representative body for all segments of the urban development industry. UDIA is a federation of five state associations that aim to promote the urban development industry in achieving sustainable urban development.With an important national voice on development matters, the UDIA takes an active interest in government decisions and decision making processes affecting the industry, and aims to advance the interest of members by lobbying, communication and research.
The five state divisions (New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Victoria and Western Australia) have strategies to represent the urban development industry, address the economic conditions and market dynamics facing the industry, and tackle current issues that are of interest to its members.
Activities of the institute include:
• Lobbying government to achieve positive outcomes for the industry
• Keeping members up to date on critical industry issues
• Organising conferences, seminars and other events featuring key experts and industry leaders
• Providing opportunities for business and social networking
• Encouraging excellence in development through Branch, State and National Awards
• Promoting a Code of Ethics for all members, and
• Collaborating with other industry bodies to deliver optimum results for members
UDIA National is a member of FIABCI, the International Real Estate Federation based in Paris, and AHURI, the Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute.
As a nationally respected organisation, UDIA National represents urban developers, professionals and others who are involved in urban and property development. The urban development industry comprises organisations and individuals that are dedicated to meeting the housing and social needs of communities through development.
Membership of UDIA enables major public corporations, financial institutions, small companies, professional practices and private individuals involved in the urban development industry to:
• Influence the future direction of the urban development industry
• Assist and improve practices within the industry
• Contribute effectively to the development of policy at a state and federal level
• Receive the professional support and advice of the Institute on particular issues
• Access professional development through seminars, conferences and the UDIA National Congress
• Share best practices through discussion, seminars and the Congress
• Receive opportunities for industry recognition through the UDIA Awards
• Share relevant industry information through the UDIA Update Newsletter
• Access key public sector decisionmakers
• Access professional networking opportunities with South Australian urban development industry leaders
• Opportunities to build business relationships and promote corporate products and services
• Experience social networking opportunities through a range of events and functions
UDIA membership is state based to better serve members operating in different industry and political environments. National membership consists of combination of all five states and will allow access to all state membership benefits. UDIA membership is offered to a wide range of industry-related bodies from developers to students.
The Urban Development Institute of Australia’s National Awards for Excellence celebrates Australia’s contemporary knowledge, skills and innovation in the urban development industry. The awards recognise outstanding achievement of high quality development that contributes to the industry, government and community.
Selected winners of UDIA State Awards for Excellence are nominated to represent each state in the UDIA national Awards for Excellence. Nominees undergo an extensive process of evaluation in the various categories and winners meet the highest standards.
National winners are announced at the UDIA National Congress each year. The 2012 UDIA National Congress will take place in Perth from March 6 -9. Winners will be published in UDIA Nationals annual Awards publication.
Further Contact & Information
Urban Development Institute of Australia
Unit 13, National Associations Centre
71 Constitution Avenue, Campbell, ACT 2612
Phone: 02 6230 0255
Fax: 02 6230 0311