In a bid to create smarter public space infrastructure, Dubai has installed a suite of solar powered palm trees across beaches and public plazas that provide shade, free WIFI, charging points and information screens.
Rustling a few leaves for the locals in Dubai, the Smart Palm trees have begun popping up in a range of beachside and public plaza locations. As part of Dubai’s Smart City Initiative, these sustainable ‘internet of things’ trees have begun offering complimentary WIFI, charging points and information/ security points to residents and tourists in the wake of Dubai’s Welcome the World Expo in 2020.
The Smart Palm provides six main functions:
- WIFI hotspot – when visitors are within the vicinity of the installation, the internet is freely available.
- Security and emergency features – each unit is equipped with a 360 degrees infrared CCTV camera and an emergency button is accessible.
- Solar panels – each Smart Palm features specially designed solar panels to make it completely power autonomous.
- Touch screen and smart info application – smart city information, a dedicated website and mobile apps are accessible.
- Digital outdoor screen – each installation provides space for public messages, government notices and commercial advertisements.
- Relax points and battery recharge stations – seating areas are provided and its recharging points are able to re-energize electronics 2.5 times faster than regular stations.
The Smart Palm allows fast and reliable internet access while using designated seating under man-made shade, all while powering the WIFI, charging power and information displays from the specially designed solar panels, placed on top of the palm leaves.
The sustainable technology also powers the green light-emitting LEDs, located on the Palm top, so that they glow impressively at night time and act as a safe meeting place, pick-up point or night time attraction.