This year they are giving people even more ways to take part – by planting in their own backyards.
According to NGIA, this is a great opportunity for garden retailers to take part and engage with their local communities during this high profile national event.
“Taking part in Tree Day is a great way to branch out to the community in a meaningful way, enhance your role as a local business leader and help nature thrive. We’re going to green Australia one backyard at a time!” says Debbie Agnew – National Tree Day Manager.
Matthew Carroll from NGIA got together with Costa Georgiadis in Darwin to record a video to promote the event. See the call to action for Garden Retailers for Tree Day 2013 here.
Your nursery or garden centre can participate in this year’s National Tree Day by:
● Displaying a Tree Day poster to promote the campaign to your customers and gardening enthusiasts, in addition to including it in your newsletters, on your website and social media.
● Conducting an in-store presentation/talk on how people can successfully grow plants (native, edible and/or ornamental) in their garden, balcony, rooftop, etc.
● Posting an ‘Offer of Help’ on the Tree Day website which could include:
- Donating or discounting seedlings, plants, mulch or tools to participating schools and groups (you define the offer and stop it at any time).
- Helping a local event with manpower or know-how.
● Running a Tree Day Activity like a neighbourhood tree planting or bush regeneration event, assisting a local school or offering a native gardening workshop. Use their adaptable poster to help promote your activity.
Each activity registered will be listed on the National Tree Day website and be listed when people look for Tree Day activities in their area.
This year also sees people who register their backyard (balcony, rooftop, nature strip) planting could WIN a 2-night nature-getaway stay at Wolgan Valley Resort and Spa (valued at $4,000). Hopefully this will encourage even more people to get outside and grow and also drive more traffic and sales to your business too.