Research has been conducted into the performance of two organic growing media compared to a standard mineral-based medium used in rooftop gardens. The two growing media under trial contain a higher proportion of organic matter than the standard media, with a high mineral content. The testing was carried out by The University of Western Sydney to ensure independent data.
1. How does run-off water compare in quality between the organic mixes and the standard mix?
2. Do the organic mixes show any slumpage or shrinkage, and how does this compare to the standard mix?
3. Do the organic mixes weigh less than the standard mix, when both wet and dry?
4. How does the temperature of the supporting substrate compare under planter boxes carrying the organic mixes and the standard mix?
5. How does plant growth compare in the organic mixes, compare to the standard mix?
6. What depth of organic mix is required to give optimum results for plant growth, temperature reduction and quality of run-off water?
For more information and to view the final report, visit: http://barkblower.com.au/research/greenroofs.html
The Hills Bark Blower would like to thank OzBreed and Atlantis Water Management for their involvement and support in this project.