The design and supply specification requirements of the project required the access cover to be fit for purpose.
The new streetscape layout comprises shared space precincts where paving units are laid across the full road width which is open to occasional vehicular and regular pedestrian traffic.
To preserve the visual continuity of the pavement, the client required the 600mmx600mm access cover (or multiples of this cover for larger sizes) to be discrete, permitting pavers to be fitted within the product. Strength, durability and safe ease of access were other requirements that needed to be met to ensure design life criteria compliance.
ACO’s bespoke ductile iron accesscovers satisfied all of the above criteria for the following reasons:
• For strength, they were designed and testedto AS3996 (load class D210kN). They also complied to the NZ Transit Loading Manual
• For ease of installation, they were designed to accommodate the depth of the pavers specifically chosen by the client for the project
• For ease of access, they satisfied other stakeholders’ requirements (e.g. utility providers)
• For security, the access covers had a suitable locking system
• For identification, the access covers were provided with ID tags identifying the name of each utility provider
• For aesthetics, they were manufactured to be consistent in their appearance enabling the client to meet the visual requirements of the project.
ACO Polycrete Pty Ltd
135 Old Bathurst Road, Emu Plains NSW 2750
Ph: 02 4747 4000