1 November 2011
On a recent trip to Greece, I was lucky enough to visit the beautiful town of Aiani in the province of Kozani. There, I met the Vasilliki sisters, who were keen to share with me many of their traditional recipes — all delicious, I must say. Here’s one I guarantee you’ll love and will want to make for your family and friends. Saragli is filo pastry filled with walnuts and drizzled with syrup. To make it, you’ll need to break the head off a wooden spoon so you just have the handle. star ingredient Walnut
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 pkt filo pastry
1 cup vegetable oil
3 cups water
2 cups sugar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla powder
- Crush walnuts using a food processor, then mix in the ground cinnamon.
- Lay the filo pastry on a benchtop and position the handle of a wooden spoon or piece of dowel widthways across the centre of the pastry. This will be the fold line for the pastry.
- Using a pastry brush, drizzle and paint some oil over the pastry and apply a coat at both ends.
- Fold the pastry in half over the wooden handle and press flat. Apply another coat of oil at the end of the pastry so it will bond when rolled, then sprinkle 1 tablespoon of crushed walnuts over the folded pastry.
- Begin rolling the pastry over using the wooden handle as a guide.
- Carefully push the pastry inwards from either end of the handle to create a crinkled effect.
- Carefully slide the pastry off the handle.
- Lay the saragli in a greased baking tray, apply a thin coat of oil over each and bake 200oC until golden brown.
- Mix water, sugar, lemon and vanilla essence in a pot and bring to the boil.
- Pour the syrup over the baked pastry while still hot, being careful not to drown the pastry.
- Sprinkle some crushed walnuts over the top and serve. Maresi!
Tip Drizzle over some chocolate topping and serve hot with icecream.
Leave your comments with Facebook
After 10 years of dedicated development, the Jardins de la ...
Reinventing the laneways of urban spaces to become vibrant cultures ...
Angus Bruce, head of landscape architecture at HASSELL, shares his ...
London’s world-famous Piccadilly Circus is getting a 21st Century upgrade ...
The Paris Navigation Gym is powered by people as it ...
Concrete street furniture by Australian designer Alexander Lotersztain has taken ...