ROOT BARRIER PIPE WRAP
1 November 2009 2000 views
An evolution from the vertical Root Barrier cut-off walls, Root Barrier Pipe Wrapâ„¢ is a simple, economic and practical solution.
Root Barrier Pipe Wrap™ is an evolution from our vertical Root Barrier™ cut-off walls. It addresses the problem of how to protect services from plants planted very near or directly above the services location, and the regular occurrence of roots tracking beside services in the sand bed the pipe is laid on.
Root Barrier™ has developed a simple, economic and practical solution which provides a permanent root proof insulation layer around the service, whilst meeting the EPA guidelines for not contaminating the soil.
Root growth will continue within the services trench. The Root Barrier Pipe Wrap™ process will insulate the service to keep the roots away by providing 100mm thick root proof zone around the service.
Placement of Root Barrier Pipe Wrap™ is at the time the service is installed in the trench. The simple process is as follows:
1. Excavate the trench 200mm wider than the service.
2. Place Root Barrier in the trench in a U shape, starting 2 metres before the mature tree leaves begin and finishing 2metres past the edge of the canopy (an average tree requires 15 metres).
3. Place 100mm bedding sand inside the Root Barrier in the trench.
4. Install the service as normal.
5. Pour some root growth inhibitor onto the conduits.
6. Place bentonite seal at ends if required.
7. Cover the service with 100mm of sand.
8. Add balance of 55kg root growth inhibitor per cubic metre of sand, on top of the sand. Top up bentonite seals if required.
9. Fold the Root Barrier flaps over to overlap and cover the top of the sand.
10. Ensure ends of root barrier pipe wrap are sealed with either duct tape or bentonite to prevent root growth inhibitor leaching into surrounding soil. The service, root growth inhibitor and sand are now completely encapsulated within the Root Barrier envelope and can not leach away or effect the local environment.
11. Back fill to cover installation as normal.